Communications & Development Coordinator (NEW)
Posting Date: November 28, 2016
Position Opened Until Filled
Mental Health America of Greater Houston seeks a creative and energetic coordinator for the Communications and Development Team to assist and/or develop events, write and design content for printed, electronic and social media, and assist with media relations and public awareness campaigns. The coordinator will also support fund development activities with individuals, corporations and foundations.
Required: Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years' experience in communications, journalism, and/or development. Superior grammar, spelling, writing and editing skills; ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and responsibilities and meet deadlines. Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint and Photoshop. Raisers Edge or other fund development database experience required.
Please send resume and cover letter to Judith Drummond at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Phone Calls Please.
Coordinator, Advocacy & Veterans Behavioral Health
Posting Date: November 4, 2016
Position Opened Until Filled
Purpose of Position
Provides program, project and administrative coordination and support for MHA's programs, initiatives and activities in Advocacy/Public Policy/Government Relations and Veterans’ Behavioral Health.
- Research and draft written and visual presentations in various formats.
- Conduct research on pending legislation, emerging issues, maintain bill tracking during legislative session for public viewing and dissemination.
- Draft background on issues development for committees, briefings, media, reports, annual program reports, weekly and monthly newsletters for veterans’ behavioral health (including treatment courts), biannual legislative summary.
- Schedule and coordinate logistics and facilities for committee and task force meetings, advocacy volunteers and groups, events, workshops, trainings and conferences related to advocacy and veterans’ behavioral health, including creating and producing registration materials for trainings; tracking and oversight of registration for trainings, food/beverages, audiovisual needs, handout materials, scheduling and confirming with speakers and presenters, etc. Conduct follow-up activities which may include follow-up communications at scheduled intervals, posting content to website or drafting for newsletters, thank you letters to presenters, paying invoices. Trainings and events include, but are not limited to: Peer Mentoring Basic Training, quarterly training with law enforcement, VCAMP (2-3 times per year to train 60 veterans from across the state), the annual Mental Health Summit (in partnership with the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center), annual Women’s Empowerment Expo, etc.
- Maintain training calendars and conduct marketing activities to promote trainings. Coordinate trainings with Combined Arms and other partners.
- Provide support for the Minding Houston blog, including development of first draft, contacting individuals to be interviewed, technical assistance in producing the blog.
- Assist in scheduling meetings for directors and/or community group meetings.
- With data from Directors and Managers, prepare weekly Military Veteran Peer Network data reports.
- Create and disseminate surveys and assessments for training and program evaluation. Provide reports to Director and Manager for program evaluation. Coordinate the series of contacts and follow-ups with training recipients at defined intervals. Coordinate the grant deliverables and required reporting from funders. Monitor grant submission and reporting dates and review with directors 60 days in advance of deadline.
- Support volunteer management or Directors and Managers and conduct follow-up with volunteers for metrics and program accountability and evaluation.
- Maintain and expand database for contacts and mailings, maintain and update contact details for key constituencies, assist with data entry for contact management; produce lists and reports as needed. Key constituencies include, but are not limited to: elected officials, school board members, program committees, community partners and organizations, volunteers, media, etc.
- Maintain committee lists, rosters and program-related electronic files.
- Proactively maintain reporting spreadsheets; enter and maintain contacts, metrics, evaluation data and produce reports monthly and as needed.
- Coordinate and maintain internal and external calendar of events.
- Maintain web pages for advocacy, veterans’ behavioral health, Military Veteran Peer Network.
- Maintain continuity of activities, support the accountabilities of senior staff in their absence.
- May be required to assist in supervising Interns or Fellows.
- Assist with routine administrative needs and other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years' experience or an Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s in progress with a minimum of five years of relevant experience required.
Superior written and oral communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy. Highly organized with strong project management skills. Ability to multi-task and perform effectively in an environment of changing priorities and deadlines, demonstrating confidence and sound judgment. Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint. Adobe, Wordpress. Demonstrated experience in website and social media management and graphic design. Experience with Raisers Edge, Salesforce, webinar management is desired; database experience is required. Problem solving, decision-making and creative thinking abilities. Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative work style and diligent work ethic. Ability to build and sustain positive relationships internally and externally and maintain a consistent positive and professional attitude and demeanor. Understanding of mental health issues and the behavioral health system in the Greater Houston area is preferred but not required. Some level of government affairs experience preferred but not required.
Must have a vehicle and a valid driver’s license. Anticipated travel includes attending court dockets (5-6 per month), trainings, events offsite. Must be able to work intermittent evenings; working weekends is rare.
How to Submit
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No Phone Calls Please.